Thursday, April 9, 2015

Easter Recipes

Happy Friday Eve!!
 
This week has been crazy and we've had company in town for the Masters. Somehow I've managed to get a good bit of school work done. I found out I made an A in my Clinical Eval course, which ended at Spring Break, so I've been happy about that. Can we just get this semester over with already?
 
I am always so flattered when someone asks for one of my recipes. I had a reader ask for my Easter recipes, and I am happy to share.
 
The ham recipe I use is from the Essentially Lilly: A Guide to Colorful Holidays book. My grandmother gave me this book several years ago, and I keep it on display in our living room.
According to the book, Lilly invented the recipe one day when she went to look for a Coke to splash on her ham and only found a can of ginger ale.
 
Baked Ham with Ginger-Pineapple Glaze
One 20 ounce can crushed pineapple in juice, well drained, juices reserved
Two 12 ounce cans ginger ale, as needed
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
One 8 pound spiral-sliced smoked ham
Position rack in center of oven and pre-heat to 325 degrees. Oil a large roasting pan.
Mix pineapple juice, 1 can ginger ale, brown sugar and mustard in blender to dissolve mustard. Set aside.
Place ham, flat side down, in the pan. Pour pineapple juice mixture over the ham. Pat the crushed pineapple onto the ham; if you press hard it will stick nicely. Place pan with ham and pineapple juice on top of stove and bring to boil over two burners on high heat. Tent ham with foil and transfer to oven.
Bake for 1 hour, checking occasionally to be sure that juices aren't burning and adding a bit more ginger ale to the pan if needed to keep the juices moist. Discard foil tent and baste ham with pan juices. Bake, basting occasionally and adding more ginger ale to pan if needed, until a meat thermometer inserted halfway into the ham, but not touching the bone, reads 140 degrees, about 45 minutes more. Transfer ham to a serving platter and tent with foil to keep warm. Let ham stand for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, place roasting pan over two burners on high heat and bring juices to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until juices are dark and syrupy, 5 to 10 minutes. Pour juice over ham and serve.
 
 
The deviled eggs I made are Sriracha Deviled Eggs and the recipe is straight from Garden and Gun's website. The sriracha really adds something extra. I skipped the bacon fat.
 
I think the Coca Cola Cake recipe I used before Pinterest was from The Sweet Potato Queens book. Instead of digging for the book, I used one from Pinterest for Easter and the cake wasn't quite as good. I say that, but I still had several pieces. This is the recipe I used for Easter.
 
We have plans yet again tonight. I am so ready for the weekend and a day with no plans. Saturday just might be that day. Thanks for reading!
 photo fran_zps8ed6144f.png

3 comments:

  1. Your the second person I've seen post about those eggs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So thankful you shared these recipes, I'm bookmarking them for sure so that next time I have my future in-laws over, I'll have an extra special meal to cook :)

    xoxo, SS

    The Southern Stylista

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ginger Pineapple Glaze sounds delish!!! Plus, I love anything with Sriracha.

    ReplyDelete